The idea is simple, but the implementation is complex. Because polar environments are hyper hostile.
We must create prototypes, then demonstrators to be ready when sea level rise will be problematic.
We must already put in place the experimental phase to have necessary competences when the situation will be serious.
Pipelines construction is a very large scale technical challenge, because :
- Climatic conditions are extreme in polar regions.
- Volumes of water to transport are huge, and over long distances.
We must demonstrate that this plan B is :
Aim is :
- to demonstrate that the idea is good,
- to demonstrate technical feasibility,
- to do the technical development to have an operational solution,
- to gradually improve all to make it more effective, cheaper, etc.
For the time being sea level rise is only at the beginning, so it's not too serious for the moment.
But when it will become to be really problematic, then we will need a solution immediately operational and mature.
Whatever we do, even if tomorrow we would not use fossil fuels, the problem that was triggered and climatic system inertia is so strong that sea level rise will continue over hundreds of years.
Moreover greenhouse gases emissions continue.